Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Rosemary Loch Osborne

Rosemary was only 26 years old when she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer.  What the Big C didn't know about my cousin was that she was a fighter with an indomitable strength of spirit.  She had absolutely no intention of letting that disease have it's easy way with her. She had far too much life to live. 




Defying death sentence after death sentence in the 28 years she fought her disease, Rosemary married her lovely husband Julian, had her beautiful daughter Jayne, holidayed with her family around the world, enjoyed a good glass of red and smoked her cigarettes.  Never once did she feel sorry for herself that I saw and I remember her saying to me on one of my visits home "Karen, it's always so much worse for everyone else than it is for me the cancer patient, because I know what it feels like, they don't." 

Rosemary and Fiona
For purely geographical reasons, I have not had a lot to do with my cousins but there was always a close connection with Rosemary and her wee sister Fiona despite the miles. Whenever I revisited Scotland I always made the effort to catch up with these girls and enjoyed a very warm welcome with lots of laughs and chat about our families when we were kids. I have great memories of childhood times visiting my Aunt's and my favourite memory of Rosemary teaching my sisters and I how to disco dance!  

She was extremely pretty, fabulously fashionable, could dance Pans People under the table and was a right royal rebel at heart!  I used to look up to her in awe, wishing that I had her confidence, beauty and style - as all 12 year olds do when seeing their 16 year old cousin dancing to Top of the Pops, talking about boys and sneaking out the back for a smoke!!! All reasons I loved when Rosemary would come to babysit at our place. 

In the last few years Rosemary's illness started to take a hold but more seriously so in the past couple of years.  I am amazed at the strength and grace with which Rosemary lived her life and fought to the very end. I feel a deep sense of sadness for those left behind, Julian, Jayne, Fiona, Matthew, Michael and the rest of her family. 

I know that Rosemary is at peace now and is with her Mum and Dad, her Uncle George (my dad) and our Granny.  I believe heaven is rejoicing today as a beautiful, strong angel reunites with family that has gone before her.


Rosemary
Rest In Peace Rosemary Loch Osborne  
22 August 1959 - 9 April 2014



1 comment:

Unknown said...

beautiful Karen.. x