Saturday, May 3, 2014

Me and My Shadow



There comes a time in our lives when we have to get real.  A time when we have to look ourselves in the eye and be drop dead honest about our good and bad points. 


I used to be the kind of person that was terrified of being perceived as bad/not nice/wrong.  For an intelligent lady, it took me a fair while to understand that being perfect and doing everything right was virtually impossible; in fact striving for it was utterly exhausting. 



Nobody in this world is perfect, nobody has carte blanche on doing things right every single time and I now understand that part of  the whole human experience is owning our darker side, embracing instead of rejecting our shadow.  


For a long time I rejected my shadow, hid it from all and sundry due to fear of rejection, judgement or losing friends. In doing so I was in effect cutting myself off from a rich supply of information about how I tick. While this 'darkness' holds my unspoken fears, anger, judgements etc. it is very much part of who I am; for me to be a whole, truly happy human being, acceptance of the light as well as the dark side of me is extremely important.  


I am not for one minute suggesting that every time I make a mistake, or my shadow appears, I harshly criticise, judge, or beat myself up. However, what I do endeavour to do is learn from my negative actions and reactions, to see where I can grow and live in a more conscious way.  It is not comfortable to look at my shadow, but it is courageous and I am very grateful for every opportunity I have to become a better person today than I was yesterday.   




Carl Jung in his collected works says: "Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual's conscious life, the blacker and denser it is.  If an inferiority is conscious, one always has a chance to correct it...but if it is repressed and isolated from consciousness, it never gets corrected."


Today, me and my shadow get along just fine! I actually do embrace that side of Karen.  I can laugh at some of my negative reactions, I know how to look for triggers to those moments that create a challenge in my life. Having learned how to handle that darker side of me has created a wholly positive outcome; a happier existence, self love, self acceptance and self respect. 


Get to know your shadow, embrace it, learn from it and be the amazing 'yin and yang' creation you are. 
















No comments: